Obtaining Network Access
Scope: For ALL employees, full time, P14 and adjunct faculty
Note: Also includes student workers who need network access and student club webmasters.
Policy: Every person who is employed in any capacity by Southwest Virginia Community College must complete Awareness Training PRIOR TO being given access to college network and student information systems. Also, the employee’s direct supervisor is responsible for advising the Human Resources department immediately when an employee no longer works for the college.
1. The employee’s direct supervisor completes the Information Technology Service Change Form and submits it to Human Resources at least 10 days before employee begins work OR IMMEDIATELY when an employee leaves employment with the college. For student workers, include EmplId or EmployeeID.
2. Human Resources approves or denies the request. Approved requests are forwarded to Network Access Administrator and the Awareness Training Administrator.
3. Network Access Admin creates network/email account for employee OR removes employee from the network/email system. NOTE: If employee termination and removal, request is forwarded to VOIP Administrator for removal from phone system and SIS and AIS Security Administrator for removal from SIS and AIS systems. Note: For student workers, the student account terminates on the last term date for work study as set by Financial Aid or for club webmasters, set to the last exam date for the term. Awareness Certification is only required annually, not by term for returning student workers and club webmasters.
4. Awareness Training Admin enters employee and supervisor information into Awareness Training system and generates notification to the employee to complete training within 7 days and print out certificate of training to include in SIS Security Requests, if needed.
5. Awareness Training Admin provides Network Access Admin with listing of those who have completed training and those who have missed their training deadline.
6. Network Access Admin provides requested network services to employees who are certified and removes the accounts of those who have not completed training.
7. Terminated accounts may be re-activated for 24 hours to allow the employee to complete training, upon written request to the Network Access Admin from supervisor.
For more information, contact Paula Owens at x7344
Student Information System Services (Peoplesoft):
MYSouthwest (VCCS SIS & AIS) Access Once network access has been received, the employee completes the SIS Security Request , signs it and obtains supervisor signature. The employee delivers the completed form to Paula Owens in the Information Technology Office on the 3rd floor of Tazewell Hall.
For AIS access the Business Office Manager completes the AIS Security Access form, signs it and returns it to the College AIS Security Officer. The College AIS Security Officer reviews the form and submits an Issuetrak ticket with an electronic copy of the form to the VCCS AIS Security Administrator who reviews the form and creates the security access.
Contact Information Technology for assistance with your phone services. Brittany Hale, Telecommunications Support, T322, x7546
NOTE: The number to access voicemail from any location is 964-7590. When prompted by the Unity Voicemail System, enter your 4 digit extension number preceded by an asterick. (* 7xxx) and then your password followed by the # sign. This will give you access to review, save or delete your phone messages.
Resource Policy & Procedure
guidelines for web server access and publication privileges
Contact Teresa Pruett for assistance at x7365.